Get free coupons from Optum Perks — accepted at pharmacies nationwide.
How to use Optum Perks at Walgreens and Duane Reade
Walgreens and Duane Reade offer a Prescription Savings Club that can save you money. Optum Perks could possibly save you even more.
Walgreens® is one of the largest drugstore chains in the United States. With more 9,000 locations nationwide, it’s one of the easiest places to get your medications. (Duane Reade® stores, also part of Walgreens, are popular in and around New York City.)
Walgreens is known for being budget-friendly, and it even offers a Prescription Savings Club to help you save money on certain medications. It can cut up to 80% off retail prices in some cases. But it’s important to know that it’s not a free service. In some cases, you could save even more with Optum Perks, which is free. Download our discount card now.
How the Walgreens Prescription Savings Club works
The Walgreens Prescription Savings Club is a separate program from the myWalgreens rewards program. The myWalgreens program is free and gives you rewards and cash back for retail purchases at Walgreens. The Prescription Savings Club, on the other hand, isn’t free and offers discounts on only certain medications and Walgreens and Nice!® brand products.
Here’s how the Walgreens Prescription Savings Club works:
- A single membership costs $20 per year; a family membership costs $35 per year. Family memberships cover you, your spouse, dependents under 23 years old and pets.
- The Prescription Savings Club is available at every Walgreens and Duane Reade store except those in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Mississippi, North Dakota and Washington.
- Thousands of medications are covered under the Prescription Savings Club. Many lifestyle and preventative medications are available, including ones not covered by insurance. If a generic version is available, the name-brand version won’t be eligible for a discount.
- There are 3 tiers of value-priced generic medications. Prices for these medications start at $5 for a 30-day supply or $10 for a 90-day supply, for the lowest tier level. For the highest tier level, prices start at $15 for a 30-day supply and go up to $30 for a 90-day supply.
- There are 2 ways to check whether your current medications are covered. You can browse some of the available medications and prices on Walgreens’ medication coverage list. You can also call a Walgreens pharmacist to check whether your medication is covered and what its price will be.
- You cannot use your insurance or any other prescription discount cards when you use the Prescription Savings Club. In some cases, your insurance (if you have it) may be cheaper, but not always. You can ask your pharmacist whether it’s cheaper to use your insurance, a prescription discount card or the Prescription Savings Plan when paying for your medication.
How to use Optum Perks at Walgreens
The Walgreens Prescription Savings Club offers a wide range of medication choices at affordable prices. If you regularly take one of the medications on the list, you could save a lot of money with this program, especially if you don’t have insurance.
That said, if you’re looking to save as much money as possible, it’s important to know about all your options. That way, you can choose the cheapest one. Health insurance and the Prescription Savings Club are 2 great options, but another excellent resource is Optum Perks.
Optum Perks negotiates lower prescription prices directly with manufacturers and passes these savings on to you. There are no fees at all. Anyone is eligible to join, even if you already have health insurance.
You won’t be able to use Optum Perks with your insurance or with the Walgreens Prescription Savings Club. But you can find out which option will give you the best price on its own and then use that one by itself. You can search for medication prices at drugstores near you through Optum Perks. Our app lets you search on the fly from anywhere (even in line). Get it now.
For example, if you need another albuterol nebulizer solution, you can expect to pay $10 with the Walgreens Prescription Savings Club. That’s not bad, but if you use your Optum Perks card instead, you’ll pay only around $5.50. That’s about half as much.
Having multiple ways to save on your prescription medications can be a little confusing to juggle — but taking a few extra minutes to check the prices can seriously pay off.
Did you know that different pharmacies charge different prices for the same medications? Find the best deal near you with the Optum Perks app.